Curtains complete space yet collect dirt and dust quickly. It might not be easy to deduce the best way to maintain these expensive items. How frequently should drapes and curtains be cleaned? How can you prevent damage to delicate fabrics like silk and chiffon? Is it better to wash, hand wash, or steam clean the curtains? Read below How To Solve Curtain cleaning problems.
Here’s A Quick Way How to Solve Curtain Cleaning Problems depending on the fabric used to make them.
Washing Curtains in a Machine
It would help if you cleaned your window coverings as often as every three to six weeks is recommended. By keeping up with a weekly dust cleaning practice, you may delay washings until less often. Removing the buildup of dust, grime, pet hair, and cobwebs regularly makes your house look and feel cleaner and helps reduce allergens and identify stains that need further in-depth treatment.
Curtains made of lace may be machine-washed if placed in a mesh bag beforehand. Check the label to be sure, but most synthetic and lined blackout curtains maybe machine washed and dried.
Test Individual Panels of Drapes
The first thing you should do is read the curtain’s care label. Spot test a small area of your curtains with water and a little quantity of liquid washing powder or liquid laundry soap if you have any concerns about their color fastness. Examine the area by dabbing it with a white cloth/paper towel to see if any color comes out. You may still machine wash your cloth or paper towel if there is a color, but you should use cold water or the delicate cycle.
Pins, hooks, pins, and clips should all be removed before washing curtains. Curtains with grommets may be machine washed, but only on the delicate cycle.
Prepare a Bag for Sensitive Items
Before washing them in the washer, place sheer and lace curtains in a mesh bag, the bag will protect the curtains from fraying and other wear and tear.
Put the curtains in an old pillowcase of the same color and secure it with a knee sock. You don’t mind straining or discolouration if you’re panicking. Do it definitely for How to Solve Curtain Cleaning Problems?
Choose Cold Water
Curtains that can be cleaned typically need a cold water wash with a very modest quantity of detergent.
Cloth the Window Treatments
The ironing process is much simpler. Curtains that can be washed should be dried on a clothesline or in a clothes dryer set to a low heat setting. Get the curtains out of the dryer when they are approximately 95% dry. Wrinkles are more likely to remain after being over-dried, but if the curtains are taken down. At the same time, they are still wet.
Iron Curtains if Necessary
It might need quick ironing. Use a thin white towel or T-shirt, for instance, as a barrier between the iron and the curtain fabric to prevent damage. Rehang the drapes after replacing the rod and rod brackets.
Curtain Maintenance Step by Step
- It’s a good idea to measure your curtain length before washing it in case you need to restretch it after washing. Please ensure the tapes are loosened and the hooks are gone before hanging them flat.
- Curtains may be dusted before washing by being tumble-dried in a no-heat setting. You could also shake them out, put them flat on the bed, and then use the dusting attachment on your vacuum to get rid of the dust.
- Please keep in mind that curtains will become much heavier after being wet, and do not stuff the washing machine to capacity.
- Never rub or wring the cloth during hand washing; gentle agitation only.
- If you can, hang the curtains in two parallel lines to dry without touching the damp sides. Curtains should not be allowed to touch wood since this might cause stains to appear.
- Steam press along the length of the back, non-visible side, while still moist. Repeatedly dampening a curtain that has dried in certain areas is the best way to prevent watermarks.
- Curtains can be ironed without puckering if the seams are gently stretched when ironing. Then the curtains may be pulled to the desired size by spreading them out on a clean surface like a bed.
- Insert hooks and weights and adjust curtain tape to the proper width after drying the curtains.
- To shorten the process, you might hang your curtains and then use a portable steamer or the vertical steaming of a standard steam iron to smooth them.
- Make sure you clean the valances attached to the wall before you rehang the curtains. Use the upholstery attachment on a vacuum to clean a fabric valance, the crevice tool on a hardwood valance, and a sponge dampened with a solution of liquid soap and water to clean a plastic valance.
- One person may stand on a ladder to rehang the curtains while the other checks to ensure they aren’t dragging on the floor.
If you want to know How to Solve Curtain Cleaning Problems? Then Consider all the above-mentioned pointers for the perfect cleanliness. If you are still confused or do not wish to risk cleaning delicate curtains, do reach out to a professional curtain cleaning company.